HIPAA Compliance: Business Associate Agreements
A Requirement for HIPAA Compliance
US Dept. of Health and Human Services
Business Associates Sections 45 CFR 164.502(e), 164.504(e), 164.532(d) and (e)
The Privacy Rule requires that a covered entity obtain satisfactory assurances from its business associate that the business associate will appropriately safeguard the protected health information it receives or creates on behalf of the covered entity.
No Business Associate Agreement? $31K Mistake
The Center for Children’s Digestive Health (CCDH) has paid the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) $31,000 to settle potential violations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule… >>Read More
A Business Associate Agreement
Who needs Business Associate Agreements?
- A third party administrator that assists a health plan with claims processing.
- A CPA firm whose accounting services to a health care provider involve access to protected health information.
- An attorney whose legal services to a health plan involve access to protected health information.
- A consultant that performs utilization reviews for a hospital.
- A health care clearinghouse that translates a claim from a non-standard format into a standard transaction on behalf of a health care provider and forwards the processed transaction to a payer.
- An independent medical transcriptionist that provides transcription services to a physician.
- A pharmacy benefits manager that manages a health plan’s pharmacist network.
- And others
Not sure who requires an Associate Agreement?
Register for your FREE HIPAA Compliance Webinar:
“OfficeSafe has been very helpful with becoming HIPAA compliant. HIPAA has been confusing and overwhelming for years and I’m so thankful to finally have a solution that is easy to implement! The staff is also very easy to work with!“
–Stephanie Craven, Osborne DDS
Additional HIPAA Training Resources
OfficeSafe™ features a comprehensive suite of training tools to ensure your staff is fully trained in HIPAA practices and your practice is always fully HIPAA compliant.
IT’S EASY TO GET STARTED.
Call (800) 588-0254
PCIHIPAA | 2601 Ocean Park Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405 | email@example.com